On pick-up day the produce will be arranged under the tent, market style, with the exception of pick-your-own berries, herbs or flowers. The quantities of each crop for Farmer’s Choice and Classic Harvest shares will be indicated on chalk boards. Your share will range from 5-15 lbs. per week, depending on the the season and your share option. Check out the harvest chart for an overview of what you can expect in your share at different times.
Pickup runs from 10-am-7 pm on Tuesdays and Fridays. Allow at least an hour to collect all of your produce. You may need additional time to harvest pick-your-own crops. If these are available, please plan to finish harvesting them not later than 6:50 pm so that the farmer who stays to close up is able to head home shortly after 7.
Please park in the parking lot in a diagonal fashion, this has proved to be safest.
We do not provide any bags, baskets or containers for transporting your produce home. We recommend that you bring:
- Plastic bags to put individual vegetables in (save your produce bags from the supermarket). Be sure to bring bags for loose greens like spinach and salad mix, even if you put other produce into a basket or a box.
- Shopping bags, baskets, or boxes in which to carry your produce to your car.
- Pint and quart containers for the Pick-Your-Own crops. Quantities of each crop will be designated in terms of pints and quarts. Save containers from supermarket produce and bring them with you to the farm.
- A travel cup or other container that holds water to put your cut flowers into (beginning in July, when the flower garden opens for picking).
- Scissors or small shears for cutting flowers (there are some scissors at the farm, but they can be in high demand).
Weights and Measures
Please weigh your produce very carefully. Your share each week is carefully calculated based on the harvest. If you weigh “over” by a few ounces, it impacts everyone. Please honor this essential component of your CSA community and your commitment to sustainable agriculture.
Weight vs. volume: Please note that pick up under the tent is by weight or each (e.g., one head of lettuce). PYO in the field is by volume. Click here for information about PYO
What happens if I am unable to pick-up on my assigned day?
For a one time schedule change (vacation, travel, etc.), speak to Farm Manager Melanie Hardy at the farm, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may only pick up your share once in a calendar week.
For a permanent change to your pick-up day contact Barbara Ward at email@example.com. Keep in mind that we may not be able to accommodate switch requests because we have to keep the number of sharers picking up on each day balanced to ensure sufficient produce for everyone.
Can a friend pick up my share if I am going to be away?
Yes. It would be helpful if your friend accompanied you the week before so that he/she will understand the procedures for picking up at Stearns Farm.
All produce that is left over at the end of the pick-up day is taken to a food pantry or homeless shelter.
What about rainy days?
Farm pickups happen rain or shine. If it’s wet and you don’t want to do the PYO portion of your pickup, you can come back the next day (or the next dry day). If there’s thunder/lightning around we may close the fields to PYO until the thunderstorm passes, but you can still come get your share under the tent. It is extremely rare for the farm to cancel a pickup due to bad weather. You will be notified via email if a pickup is cancelled.